Thursday, 28 August 2014

Designing Shirts That Men Want To Wear

You know what? I’m not a rootin’ tootin’ high-falutin’ guy obsessed with clothes but I quite enjoy going shopping occasionally. I know what I like but found myself becoming more and more frustrated with what’s out there. I know we can pick up the mass produced, Far East manufactured, high street fashion stuff and then, at the other end of the spectrum, “designer” which I can only afford once in a blue moon. The trouble is, when I look for something I really want, it invariably always ended up being at the designer end. Why? Because this represented style, being different and good quality, although not necessarily quality. The only problem then - price was an issue!

I sat down with Cristina, my wife, one day and tried to understand why I was getting more and more frustrated whilst out and about shopping. The results to me were quite interesting and I want to share them with you. I could always find a pair of trousers or jeans, what I really struggled with was really smart shirts or tops. Something with a real “wow” factor.

Firstly, quite clearly, even us guys want to stand out from the crowd so the mass produced stuff didn’t fit with that. In any case the so called fashion stuff for guys was generally quite drab, or at least I felt I looked like a spanner!!! Secondly, the reason I was generally drawn to the designer end was the style and more importantly the detail on the shirts and tops, but hadn’t really appreciated that was the case. The only problem I found, apart from price, was that unless you are a slim, good looking Italian dude with a “designer body” the fit for a normal body didn’t look great. The third reason is that I quite like to look smart on occasions, not casual, and as the years tick by this becomes more important. For those wondering, I am a person of a certain age and am sure that’s part of it too. However rest assured, looking back and reflecting, I have always had the same view but hadn’t really understood why before.

So out of a bit of frustration at not being able to find superior quality “wow factor” shirts more along the designer styling, I decided to grasp the nettle and start my own business. A business dedicated to producing superior quality wow factor shirts that would appeal generally to the 30+ guys. To be fair, the younger guys are spoilt for choice but that’s not my experience for us older chaps. Oh! - the other thing I meant to mention is that I worked for many years at Next and then latterly providing Supply Chain services to high street retailers.

I’m confident that we are producing a superior quality shirt that’s got the wow factor. The materials and factory we have selected produce clothing for the likes of Givenchy and Yves St Laurent; the difference is that our shirts are more affordable and that means, hopefully, we can have more than just one new shirt once in a while.

So my message to us 30+ older guys is: “Hope you enjoy the shirts and looking good, you will certainly stand out in a crowd - that I promise”. They should be available by end January next year. It’s not been easy, and perhaps I can explain the journey more in the next blog.
TAFN Alexander!!